The Museum of Literature Ireland’s vision is to create the world’s most significant literary museum, bringing visitors on an inspiring journey through Irish writing, and encouraging them to explore their own creative potential. The museum recognises that volunteers make a significant and valuable contribution to help it to achieve this vision.
The museum is committed to providing rewarding and enriching volunteering opportunities and recognises the many positive impacts that involving volunteers has, including:
- Sharing fresh approaches and different perspectives that reflect the diversity of views, knowledge and experience of society.
- Helping to deliver the museum’s vision and mission to create the most exciting, inspiring and engaging literary museum in the world.
- Facilitating greater public access to the collection and work of the museum.
- Bringing credibility to the museum – volunteers giving their time freely are an endorsement of the value of its work.
- Acting as ambassadors for the museum’s work.
- Undertaking tasks that add value to all aspects of the museum’s work.
The relationship between the Museum of Literature Ireland and its volunteers aims to be mutually beneficial, and to have positive impacts on the lives of its volunteers, including:
- Learning new skills.
- Fulfilling work placement or internship requirements as part of a third level course.
- Obtaining personal fulfilment.
- Improving their employment prospects.
- Building their professional and personal networks.