What to Expect
The Edna O’Brien Young Writer’s Bursary is an immersive, week-long programme running from 6 to 10 July 2020 here at MoLI in our Learning Room. Through a series of workshops, lectures, group projects and site tours, 15 students will develop their creative practice with writer Alan McMonagle, as well as meeting with representatives from the publishing industry, UCD academic staff and other writers.
The goal of the bursary is to attract young writers with significant potential, and afford them the opportunity to explore that potential, whilst gaining an introduction to the worlds of publishing and literature/writing as a course of academic study.
Accommodation, travel and meals will be provided, and the students will stay in supervised residences in UCD.
- All of the students will stay in UCD Student Residences for 4 nights with the support of UCD Access and Lifelong Learning Access Leaders.
- The programme runs from the afternoon of Monday, 6 July 2020 until the morning of Friday, 10 July.
- Two selected students will have their work published as a special edition under the MoLI Editions imprint.
- As well as being given membership of the museum, the students will be invited to various museum events throughout the year.
- All staff, programming, events and practices will be delivered in line with MoLI’s Child Protection Policy and Safeguarding Statement.
How to Apply
Application is via our online form.
- Section 1: Consent This should be completed by the applicant’s parent or guardian.
- Section 2: The Applicant This should be completed by the applicant.
- Section 3: The Application The applicant will be prompted to submit two pieces of writing.
- About you: Tell us why you should be selected for the Edna O’Brien Bursary (300 word max)
- Your writing: Please submit an extract of something that you have written. A short creative excerpt (300 words max) of prose, poetry, non-fiction.
Things to Consider
For our full terms and conditions see here. Some of the main things to consider are as follows:
- We will only accept applications with parental/guardian consent, including joint contact details completed.
- We will accept only one application per writer.
- Your writing can be new or existing work, but must be an original piece of work by you.
- We are not looking for polished, finished pieces of writing, or writers with large amounts of experience. What we are interested in is hearing about you, your passion and your creativity.
Ready to apply? Click the link below to submit your application.